Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 10 in Oaxaca, Mexico: CORAL
I can't believe its already been ten days that I've stayed in Oaxaca. I hope the rest of the time goes slowly cause I love Oaxaca! Today I went to CORAL and the first 2 hours were pretty boring cause it was just organizing books again. After the first two hours my supervisor Mariyana came up to me and asked me to draw a picture of the ear with the hearing aid in it (she gave me a visual to assist me in drawing it). At first I was thinking how terrible my art skills are and the last time I drew something nice was back in middle school. Surprisingly my picture came out nearly perfect to the visual aid she gave me for drawing the ear. After I drew I continued to observe the therapy sessions with the children. I'll admit my heart sank when I saw the kids getting upset if they made mistakes during the sessions but as the therapy went on they got better and better. I definently want to come back to CORAL in the future to do more global public health work to help assist in providing these services for the children and their families. After I observed the kids in therapy me and my classmate Ashwini were being taught sign language for an hour. Ashwini was amazing at picking up sign language but I wasn't as good and to top it off I'm still learning spanish so learning sign language in spanish was a bit harder for me. Hopefully it will get better but I'm not going to worry too much about the sign language part I'm more focused on learning spanish in my spanish class. I can't wait for what's going to happen tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment